Do you want to use pre work out while breastfeeding? Many women wonder how safe it is and what brands are safe to use. This article has everything you need to know about pre-workout and breastfeeding, including our favorite pre-workout for breastfeeding mothers.
Do you like to work out? Many people do and for a good reason! Working out is a great way to get in shape, boost your energy levels, and improve overall health.
Many people wonder about breastfeeding and exercise and whether or not it’s safe. They also wonder – are there any safe pre-workout options that you can use? Yes, there are! But what if you are breastfeeding?
There are many caffeine-free or low-caffeine options available on the market, and we’ve compiled a list of our favorites for you here.
you may also enjoy: 9 Best Protein Powders While Breastfeeding + Is it Safe to Drink?
- What is pre-workout?
- What do avoid in a pre-work
- Is Pre-Work Out safe to use while breastfeeding?
- Our Favorite Pre-Work Outs
- Caffeinated Pre-Workouts
- ⭐️ Winner – Just Ingredients
- Bumped Up
- C4Pre Work Out
- New Vega Sport Energizer Pre Work Out
- Alani Nu Pre Work Out
- Amino Lean Pre Work Out
- Caffeine Free Pre-Work Out
- Zhou Nutrition Lite Up
- Is Pre-Workout bad to take while breastfeeding?
- More Posts You Might Enjoy:
What is pre-workout?
Pre work out is a supplement you might take before a workout to help provide your body with enough extra energy to get through a tough workout. Most are compiled of caffeine (which helps with energy and focus) and nitrates (once ingested, it turns to nitric oxide and causes blood vessels to expand, helping more oxygen and nutrients to your muscles).
What do avoid in a pre-work
Not all pre-workouts are created equal. It is important to choose a pre-workout with quality ingredients -especially if you are breastfeeding.
A few ingredients to be aware of or stay clear from include:
- Too much caffeine
- Proprietary Blends
- Artificial Sweeteners
Is Pre-Work Out safe to use while breastfeeding?
Generally, yes, you can take pre-workout while breastfeeding. However, you should always talk with your doctor about your specific situation. With that said, there are a few things to keep in mind when doing so.
It comes down to your own personal opinion. Please refer any questions to your doctor or a lactation specialist if you have any concerns or help you make an informed decision.
Watch the caffeine intake.
For pregnant or breastfeeding women, it’s recommended to limit caffeine to between 200 and 300 mg of caffeine each day.
Some babies tolerate caffeine better than others. It’s important to watch your baby’s behavior and adapt if you find your caffeine intake is impacting them. Ideally, a caffeine-free pre-workout would be ideal.
- You might want to start with less if you start with a pre-workout. Consider using half of a scoop first to see how your body tolerates it and how your baby tolerates it. Regardless, here are a few things to keep in mind:
Pre-workout can often leave you feeling jittery or keep you from falling asleep. This could pass on to your baby, so you will want to look for any adverse effects after consuming it.
- If you will use pre-work and find your baby is impacted, try pumping or feeding right before you nurse to give it more time to work its way through your body.
Taking it right after a feed will give your milk more time to dispel some of the caffeine before the next feeding.
If you’re using a stimulant-free pre-workout, you don’t necessarily need to be as cautious, but you should still start slow, and use it after a feeding, to be on the safe side.
Suppose you are still worried about the caffeine in your pre-workout try eliminating caffeine in other ways throughout the day. Skip a cup of coffee or a caffeinated soda if you want to make sure your caffeine consumption is at the right mark.
It’s important to stay hydrated- especially while breastfeeding but even more so if you are exercising and taking supplements like pre-workout.
Keeping your fluid intake up is important because becoming hydrated is the most common cause of a decrease in milk supply- which some women may worry about when taking a supplement.
You might also enjoy – How Much Water Should I Drink While Breastfeeding?
Follow the instructions
Never mix pre-workout or take more than the recommended dose. It would be best to avoid alcohol when taking pre-workout as it affects metabolism and may cause intolerance. Always read the instruction label and consult a physician for any questions.
Our Favorite Pre-Work Outs
Here is a list of our favorite pre-workouts for breastfeeding moms. Always double-check the ingredients and make sure it’s something you feel comfortable taking.
We have divided this into caffeinated and non-caffeinated
⭐️ Winner – Just Ingredients
Just Ingredients is a great option for breastfeeding moms. Their pre-workout is made with no artificial sweeteners or ingredients. And it also includes citrulline malate, taurine, beta-alanine, and BCAAS for increased performance and recovery- all clean ingredients and no sugar added.
It also is said to help increase energy, improve mood, sharpen mental focus, increase strength and endurance, and reduce fatigue.
One serving has 150 mg of caffeine.
This pre-workout has been designed specifically for pregnant and breastfeeding moms. It is lower caffeine with just 100 mg.
It comes in three flavors and has a 30-day moneyback guarantee
- C4 PRE WORKOUT POWDER FOR MEN & WOMEN - America's Number 1 Selling Pre-Workout Brand has been trusted since 2011 with over 2 billion servings sold* For advanced energy support, endurance, force, and pumps
- BUILD MUSCLE & STRENGTH - Formulated with a super creatine compound to support strength and performance. Whether you're just starting your fitness journey or you're striving for a new goal, C4 will help unlock your full potential
- INCREASE REP COUNT - C4 pre workout for women and men is formulated with CarnoSyn Beta-Alanine, a premium clinically studied beta-alanine, which has been studied to support muscular endurance and fight fatigue and may cause a harmless tingling sensation
- MORE CAFFEINE, PLEASE - Formulated with a patented and clinically studied compound that may help the body prolong its caffeine tolerance buildup. Take 1 serving of sugar free pre workout mixed with 6 fl. oz of water 20-30 minutes before training
- DELICIOUS FLAVORS UNLIKE ANYTHING ON THE MARKET - Cherry Limeade, Fruit Punch, Icy Blue Razz, Orange Burst, Strawberry Margarita, Juicy Candy Burst, Watermelon, and Pink Lemonade
C4 has no added sugar or chemicals and is said to help with supplying endless energy, sharp focus, and overwhelming stamina.
It comes in 12 flavors, and one serving has 150 mg of caffeine.
- Vegan preworkout energy powder helps fuel your workout with clean, plant-based ingredients you can recognize
- Helps you stay alert with 100miligram of caffeine from organic coffee, fruit and green tea, so you'll be ready for your workout, cycling, hiking or running
- 16 grams of premium carbohydrates from brown rice syrup and coconut palm sugar (no artificial sweeteners) provide fast digesting carbs for quick energy pre workout for women and men
- Helps restore electrolyte balance with a sport focused ratio of sodium, potassium, calcium, and magnesium
- Made for athletes, NSF Certified for Sport, vegan certified, gluten free, dairy free, soy free and Non-GMO Project Certified
This pre-workout is a plant-based drink mix with 100 mg of caffeine extract from green tea, organic coffee, and fruit, plus 16 grams of premium carbohydrate fuel.
It is a vegan-based, gluten-free pre-workout that also supports the keto lifestyle. It currently comes in two flavors, strawberry lemonade and Acai berry.
- Packed with 200 mg of caffeine to provide energy during workouts and training sessions, and with 1.6G of beta-alanine, 6G of citrulline, 500mg of L-Tyrosine to support your goals
- 100% transparent ingredients means no proprietary blends, so you know exactly what you’re putting into your body
- Take before your workout for sustained energy and endurance to help achieve your fitness goals
- Multiple delicious flavors available, all packed with the nutrients you need and none of the fillers that you don't. Crush your goals and build strength everyday
- Our pre-workout powder is banned substance tested and is manufactured in a GMP (Good Manufacturing Practice) compliant facility. We care about the products you put into your body.
It comes in seven delightful tropical flavors (think Mimosa and Pink Guava) with no added sugars, fat, or chemicals and is gluten-free.
One serving has 200 mg of caffeine but is still considered safe for breastfeeding moms. However, if you are drinking coffee or other forms of caffeine, you may want to skip this one.
- Pre Workout for Men and Women– 125mg of natural caffeine provides a clean, sustained boost of energy along with enhanced mental focus to help you crush your workout and maintain alertness throughout the day.
- Natural Amino Energy – Naturally sourced caffeine means AminoLean can be taken any time of day with no jitters or crash. Use it as a preworkout powder, morning coffee replacement, or afternoon pick-me-up.
- BCAA & EAA Amino Acids – 5g of branched chain amino acids and essential amino acids improve workout performance, build lean muscle, and offers a more complete amino profile than typical BCAA powder.
- CLA, L-Carnitine, Green Tea – An optimal blend of these 3 key weight management ingredients promotes natural weight management to help maintain a healthy, lean physique year-round.
- Keto Friendly, Zero Sugar, Zero Carbs – AminoLean contains zero sugar, carbs, or calories making it a guilt-free, keto friendly all-in-one energy, weight management, and amino acids solution.
Amino Lean is the perfect pre work out for weight management. It comes in six fruity flavors and can be taken any time of day with little to no crash or jitters due to the natural amino energy. There are zero calories and zeros sugar in each serving.
This comes in several fruity flavors, such as blue raspberry and blackberry pomegranate.
One serving has 125 mg of natural caffeine that boosts energy and enhances mental focus.
Caffeine Free Pre-Work Out
- Workout support: Supports energy levels, endurance while working out, and muscle recovery post-workout. Simply mix 1 scoop into 8 oz of water 30 minutes prior to working out. 30 scoops per container.
- Fitness: Helps provide the energy to begin and sustain workouts without caffeine or other stimulants. Added electrolytes support pregnant and nursing mothers during workouts.
- Clean: Made without gluten, wheat, dairy, soy, GMOs, + more. Third-party tested.
- All the essentials: Includes key ingredients, such as Vitamins B6 + B12, Bovine Collagen, and Electrolytes from Himalayan Pink Salt, to support your fitness goals.
- Women-owned + run: Our founder and CEO is a woman, and over 80% of our employees are women. We are on a mission to provide women with hope and positively impact everyone that comes in contact with Pink Stork.
This one is designed for pregnant moms, and many breastfeeding moms also use it. It is stimulant and caffeine-free, and it also has some other added ingredients, such as ashwagandha, which are helpful for new moms.
It is gluten-free, dairy, soy, and GMO-free. With that said, many people say it tastes terrible, which is why it didn’t top the list as our favorite non-caffeinated version.
⭐️ Legion Pulse – Favorite Caffeine-Free Option
- 100% ALL NATURAL PRE WORKOUT POWDER. Pulse is a naturally sweetened and flavored pre workout supplement that contains large and effective doses of the best science-backed ingredients, including those found in many nitric oxide supplements: L citrulline malate, betaine, beta alanine and alpha gpc.
- BOOSTS ENERGY & FOCUS. Mix a serving of this preworkout for women and men with water, swig it down, and get fired up and zeroed in and crush your workout . . . and without the jitters, upset stomach, or post-workout crash.
- ENHANCES STRENGTH & ENDURANCE. This all natural preworkout powder is a nitric oxide booster and helps you push more weight and reps, get bigger and better pumps, and gain more muscle and strength.
- GUARANTEED RESULTS OR YOUR MONEY BACK. If you're not 100% satisfied with this preworkout for men and women, just notify us and we’ll give you a prompt and courteous refund on the spot. No complicated forms and no return necessary.
- THE MAN BEHIND THE BRAND. Tired of the exaggeration and lies of the workout supplements industry? So was Mike Mathews, international bestselling fitness author with over a million books sold, and that's why he created Legion Athletics.
Legion Pulse is a popular pre-workout. They have caffeinated versions, but their caffeine-free mixture is fantastic. It has several flavors (we really like the fruit punch one) and is apparently all-natural.
They guarantee that you’ll see results, or they’ll give you your money back.
Outwork Nutrition is caffeine-free, supports mental focus and stamina, and has no proprietary blends and unfamiliar ingredients.
Not all flavors are available caffeine-free, so make sure you purchase the one specifically marked as that. Right now, they offer Tropical Candy and Raspberry Lemonade caffeine-free.
- STRENGTH. ENDURANCE. PERFORMANCE. - Lite Up is designed to amp up the voltage for your next workout. This non-stimulant pre-workout includes ingredients like Nitrosigine for a nitric oxide boost, citrulline malate and malic acid. With Lite Up, PRs are a given.
- CAFFEINE FREE: Powerful workouts without the caffeine jitters. Yeah, we did that. Lite Up is a non-stimulant pre-workout powder designed to give you the energy and endurance to power through your workout without the jitters from caffeine.
- NITRIC OXIDE BOOST - Step up your pump with Nitrosigine, a patented complex of bonded arginine silicate that promotes blood flow. This powerful and safe nitric oxide booster supports strength, endurance and energy.
- PROMOTE ENDURANCE: All the energy you need in one berry lemonade flavored scoop. Malic acid plays a key role in energy production and may support physical endurance during exercise.
- WHAT SETS US APART? At Zhou, we use only the highest-quality ingredients in a facility following GMP (good manufacturing practices). Plus, we test everything at our lab in Utah, so you can be confident that you're fueling your body with the very best.
This is a non-stimulant pre-workout that is caffeine-free, vegan, and gluten-free with no added sugar.
The caffeine-free version is available in the berry lemonade version. Make sure you select that when you checkout!
Is Pre-Workout bad to take while breastfeeding?
You will need to weigh the pros and cons with any added supplement. When it comes down to it, taking pre-work will be a personal choice.
It is important to have a healthy mind and body while you breastfeed. Staying physically active during this time can only help with both. Be sure you do what is good for you and your baby, and if you experience any adverse effects of pre-workout while breastfeeding, you should stop taking it and revaluate your options.
More Posts You Might Enjoy:
- Seven Tips for a Healthy Breastfeeding Diet and Lifestyle
- The Best Free Macro + Calorie Calculator for Breastfeeding Moms
- Free Breast Milk Calculator – How Much Expressed Milk Does Your Baby Need?
- Two Simple Ways to Scald Breast Milk to Fix High Lipase
- High Lipase Breast Milk: Why Your Breast Milk Tastes Gross (and What You Can Do)
- How to Night Wean, Your Child Without Losing Your Mind
- How Much Alcohol Gets into Breast Milk?