Is it safe to take Tylenol PM while breastfeeding? Tylenol PM helps with minor aches and pains. Breastfeeding moms may feel the need to take medication to relieve the pain that comes with childbirth, nursing, swollen breasts or headaches. But is it safe?
First of all, it is important to always consult your physician with medication questions. However, that being said Tylenol PM is made up of of 500 milligrams of acetaminophen and 25 milligrams of diphenhydramine HCl, which is the sleep aid.
Acetaminophen is on the “American Family Physician” list as a “recommended agent” for pain relief for breastfeeding mothers. Diphenhydramine which is the sleep aid is Tylenol PM is listed as an alternative medication choice.
Here is what the MommyMeds app says about both of these active ingredients:
“The use of oral acetaminophen in breastfeeding presents minimal risk to the infant and is probably safe. Patients should be advised to take no more than 3 grams/day due to the risk of liver toxicity…There is currently no substantial evidence linking lactational exposure to acetaminophen and the development of asthma in the infant. As with all medications, use acetaminophen carefully while breastfeeding.”
“Experience with the use of this drug in breastfeeding women is limited. However, there is no evidence that the use of this drug will have an adverse effect in the breastfed infant. Diphenhydramine is probably safe to use during breastfeeding.”
Potential Side Effects
As with any medication, there is a potential for side effects. You should monitor your infant for dry mouth, sedation, constipation, diarrhea, and gastric issues.
If you are concerned at all, you can minimize the amount that your baby gets by taking the medicine right after you breastfeed.
That being said, Tylenol PM is considered acceptable while breastfeeding. Please always consult with your doctor with any medication.
Other articles you may enjoy:
- Top Signs of Low Milk Supply To Worry About
- What Does Breastfeeding Do To Your Breasts?
- 22 Low Milk Supply Causes You May Not Know About
- Can Breastfeeding Cause Depression?
- When Is It Too Late To Start Breastfeeding?
- Why Is Breastfeeding Painful?
- Can Breastfeeding Cause Headaches?
- Can Breastfeeding Moms Have Protein Powder?
- 8 Breastfeeding Problems After A C-Section
- Can Breastfeeding Cause Breast Cancer?
- The Ultimate Guide To Dairy Free Breastfeeding
- Can Breastfeeding Make You Tired?
- 5 Soothing Solutions for Dry and Cracked Nipples From Breastfeeding
- What Breast Should I Start With When Breastfeeding?