Are you looking for the best protein bars to help you with your breastfeeding journey? If so, you’re in luck! This list has the ten best protein bars that are perfect for new moms. They’ll help you stay energized and focused while you take care of your little one. So, if you’re looking for a quick and easy snack that will help you reach your goals, be sure to check out this list!
It can be hard to get all the nutrients you need when you’re breastfeeding and to eat balanced meals.
Protein can be especially hard to get!
Protein bars are a great way to get a little bit of extra protein and energy in your day. They are convenient and easy to carry with you, making them perfect for on-the-go moms.
However, not all protein bars are created equally. To help you out, we have compiled a list of the 10 best protein bars for breastfeeding mothers, so you can be sure you are getting the best quality products.
Here are our top picks, but we’ll go into more detail about them later on!
- Built Bars
- G2G Bars
- RX Bars
- Boobie Bars
- Kirkland Chewy Protein Bars
- Come Ready Protein Bars
- Think! High Protein Bars
- Perfect Bar
- Skout Protein Bars
- Clif Nut Butter Bars
Looking for protein powder recommendations? Check out this post – 9 Best Protein Powders While Breastfeeding + Is it Safe to Drink?
- What to Look for in a Protein Bar
- Best Protein Bars for Breastfeeding
- Our Top Pick: G2G Bars
- Best for Variety: Built Bars
- Best Budget Option: Kirkland Chewy Protein Bars
- Best “lactation specific”: Boobie Bars
- RX Bars
- Come Ready Protein Bars
- Think! High Protein Bars
- Best Ingredients – Perfect Bar
- Best Plant Based Option – Skout Protein Bars
- Clif Nut Butter Bars
- How much protein do I need while breastfeeding?
- What are the benefits of protein bars while you’re breastfeeding?
- Do Protein Bars Increase Milk Supply?
- Are protein bars safe while breastfeeding?
- Why does breastfeeding make you so hungry?
- Will my appetite decrease when I stop breastfeeding?
- What happens if you don’t eat enough while breastfeeding?
- Is a high protein diet bad for breastfeeding?
- Other Ways to Get Protein While Breastfeeding
- Homemade Protein Bar Recipes
- What are good snacks for breastfeeding moms?
- Do KIND bars help with lactation?
- What protein is good for breastfeeding?
- More Articles You may Enjoy:
What to Look for in a Protein Bar
There are many different types of protein bars on the market, so it’s important to choose one that is high in quality and nutritious. Some things to look for when choosing a protein bar include:
- High protein content (at least 15 grams per serving is ideal)
- No artificial sweeteners, flavors, or colors
- Healthy fats and fiber
- A variety of vitamins and minerals
There are a lot of protein bars out there, but unfortunately, many of them are filled with artificial sugar (or a LOT of regular sugar), preservatives, and lots of ingredients that you probably are better off avoiding. A protein bar that is worth eating while breastfeeding should be made with high-quality ingredients, in our opinion!
Best Protein Bars for Breastfeeding
- Why pay good money for G2G Bars over other protein or nutrition bars? The answer: Value. G2G Bars are HUGE (70g) and contain real food ingredients that keep you full. Most protein bars contain additives, preservatives and fillers that chemically manipulate the macros and allow them to be shelf-stable for YEARS! Not G2G Bars. G2G Bars are made with all-natural, unprocessed, real food ingredients. They contain no preservatives and are refrigerated for freshness. Better ingredients. Better life.
- FRESH - Made with freshly-ground peanut or almond butter. No preservatives. Refrigerated for freshness, Good2Go for 30 days out of the fridge.
- HEALTHY - All-natural, gluten-free, 99.9% lactose-free, and made with organic ingredients. NO refined sugar or sugar alcohols. High protein-18 grams from whey, peanuts/almonds and organic oats. High fiber. Balanced macro nutrients for sustainable energy.
- DELICIOUS - Our flavor sets us apart. Indulgent and satisfying. G2G Bars taste homemade but better!
- G2G bars are loved by athletes, families, kids, and outdoor enthusiasts! Perfect for hiking, biking, golfing, a day at the beach or the park. Natural fuel for your next workout or run or simply throw in your purse (or murse) for a convenient and healthy meal on the go.
I love G2G Bars, and they are great for helping keep your energy up during the day. Here are a few things to know:
- Great flavor options, including:
- Peanut Butter Chocolate Chip
- Peanut Butter Coconut Chocolate
- Peanut Butter Banana Chocolate
- Peanut Butter & Jelly
- Almond Chocolate Chip
- Almond Coconut (my personal favorite)
- Almond Mocha
- Almond Oatmeal Cookie
- They are a little bit pricier, however, I find that I only eat 1/3-1/2 of one at a time
- They have to be refrigerated
- Simple ingredients
- 18 grams of protein
- Gluten free
- You either have to buy them online or at a specialty store like Good Earth.
I have been a big fan of Built Bars for a long time, and they are often my go-to. They are often stocked in my pantry, and they often taste like a treat!
- They offer their traditional bars, “puffs” (marshmallow-like texture), and occasionally granola bars – all protein packed
- They taste great frozen or in the pantry
- Lots of new flavors released – though keep in mind that many are limited edition, so you may not always see your favorite flavor again
- They have 17 grams of protein (I think they all do, though if not, they are around that amount)
- Gluten Free
- 10 g protein
- Peanut Butter and chocolate Chip
- 59.2 oz
If you are on a budget, these are a good option. My kids love these, and they taste good. I feel like they are similar to “Chewy” bars, but just with more protein.
- These are gluten free
- A little lower on the protein spectrum with 10 grams of protein
- 40 Bars in each package
- Most ingredients are okay but a few aren’t my favorite (corn syrup, maltodextrin)
- Very tasty
- MILK-BOOSTING LACTATION BARS – Our Milk to the Max Bars are expertly formulated to increase milk supply with one convenient, ready to eat bar – no more pills to swallow, no more teas to brew!
- 6 POWERFUL SUPERFOODS – made with Moringa, Turmeric, Cinnamon, Shatavari, Flaxseed, and Whole Grain Oats for milk-boosting lactation support.
- BREASTFEEDING ESSENTIALS – Our lactation bars for breastfeeding provide 6g of fiber and are a healthy alternative to lactation cookies. The ideal lactation supplement for nursing moms.
- INGREDIENTS MOMS TRUST - Gluten-Free, Dairy-Free, Vegan, Soy Free, Non-GMO, Certified Kosher, and Fenugreek-Free. Made in the USA.
- CREATED BY CERTIFIED LACTATION CONSULTANT - Founder, Nurse Wendy, is an RN and International Board Certified Lactation Consultant (IBCLC). She expertly crafts all Boobie products for optimal support of motherhood.
I was surprised to see there really weren’t a lot of lactation protein bars out there – pretty much just Boobie Bars. I nave never actually tried these, but the reviews are pretty good.
- Three Flavors
- Oatmeal chocolate chip
- Peanut Butter
- Blueberry Muffin
- Contains six “superfoods”
- Organic Moringa Leaf
- Organic Cinnamon
- Organic Shatavari Root
- Organic Tumeric
- Whole Grain Oats
- Vegan, Gluten Free, Soy Free, Non GMO, Dairy Free, Fenugreek Free, and Certified Kosher
- Only 3 grams of protein, so definitely not a traditional protein bar
- Ingredients all seem pretty good. It does have sunflower lecithin, which has been a little controversial
- There is a lot of sugar – 12 grams of added sugar per bar
- A REAL FOOD PROTEIN BAR: Our Blueberry RXBAR is the perfect protein bar for any berry lover. Made with real food ingredients—egg whites for protein, dates to bind, nuts for texture. 12 gram of protein. 4 gram fiber. Gluten free.
- ANYTIME HIGH PROTEIN SNACK: It’s always the perfect time for a wholesome snack. That’s why we suggest trying this real food protein bar for breakfast time, lunch time, or as a pre or post workout snack. Eat the whole snack bar or save some for later.
- GLUTEN FREE AND GUILT FREE SNACK: Paleo, check. Whole30, check. Guilt and gluten- free, double check. RXBARs are the perfect protein bar for any healthy lifestyle. Check out RX Nut Butter for a keto snack option.Dairy free
- ON-THE-GO PROTEIN PACKED FUEL: RXBARs are great for the office, on-the-go snacks, or just a wholesome treat. Grab one bar for a protein-packed pre or post workout snack and get the energy you need.
- WE’RE THE BAR THAT RAISED THE PROTEIN BAR, BAR: At RXBAR, we make protein bars. Simple real food ingredients, no gluten, no added sugar, and no B.S.
This is a well-known brand with a variety of different protein bars. They can be readily found at many grocery stores. They have very simple ingredients, which is one of their biggest appeals.
- There are several different kinds of RXBars:
- Original RXBar – Around 12 grams protein
- AM Bar – 10 grams protein
- Mini’s – 6 grams protein
- Plant – 10 grams protein
- Typically have 3-5 ingredients; usually things like dates, nuts, and egg whites
- I find them to be pretty dense
- The flavor is pretty good
- BREASTFEEDING PROTEIN POWDER: Majka lactation supplement for breastfeeding boosts milk supply and supports energy levels. Our plant based protein powder is the only postnatal protein powder that serves as a complete bioavailable postnatal vitamin and contains a high quantity of galactagogue (breast milk boosting) herbs, meaning, it can substitute your pre/postnatal vitamin, unlike any other powder on the market!
- NOURISHING FOR NEW MOMS: Our lactation drink mix is formulated to restore and replenish your body after giving birth; It provides probiotics and digestive enzymes for nutrient absorption, nourishes your breastmilk, and keeps you feeling full and energized.
- LACTATIONAL SUPPLEMENT: Majka nursing protein powder is the best breastfeeding supplement with 15 grams of organic protein, active forms of B vitamins, organic galactagogues, fruits and vegetables, probiotics and enzymes. It is essentially 6 supplements in one! Making this a comprehensive, convenient, and delicious way for breastfeeding moms to get the nutrition they need!
- LACTATION SUPPORT YOU’LL LIKE: Our lactation supplements are non GMO, vegan, gluten free, soy free, sugar free, have no artificial sweeteners, are whole food based, and fenugreek free
- FOR BEST RESULTS: Add 2 scoops of our lactation blend to your favorite smoothie or mix with your favorite plant based milk; Our Lactation protein powder can be enjoyed at any time of the day as a breast milk supply boost and to promote your overall well being
These are advertised as “clean protein” bars with no added preservatives or additives. They also have additional flax seed added, which is kind of nice, since that is a galactagogue. Here are a few highlights:
- 12 grams of protein
- Simple Ingredients
- They have sunflower lecithin, which is an ingredient some use to help with recurrent clogged ducts
- Non GMO Certified
- Various flavors include:
- Vanilla Swirl
- Chocolate Mocha
- Dark chocolate sea salt
- Dark chocolate coconut almond
- Dark Chocolate blueberry almond
- Chocolate peanut butter
- Available for purchase online
- Product Type:Snack Food Bar
- Item Package Dimensions:15.8 cm L X 14.6 cm W X 5.4 cm H
- Item Package Weight:1.455 lbs
- Country Of Origin: United States
These are protein bars that have a higher amount of protein than many and are available nationwide at stores like Target.
- Bars have 20 grams of protein
- Lots of delicious flavors
- Brownie Crunch
- Chocolate & Creme Cupcake
- Chocolate Fudge
- Chunky Peanut Butter
- Cookies and Creme
- Creamy Peanut Butter
- Lemon Delight
- White Chocolate
- They have a variety of products, such as Keto and Plant-based bars
- Ingredients aren’t terrible, but they aren’t as good as some bars
- DARK CHOCOLATE CHIP PEANUT BUTTER WITH SEA SALT PROTEIN BAR: Perfect Bar is a delicious blend of creamy & crunchy with a cookie-dough-like texture. Made with ground organic peanut butter, organic honey, organic fair trade dark chocolate chips & sea salt. Truly tasty!
- SUPERFOOD: Superfoods like fruits, vegetables, seeds & oils are found in every bar to provide a convenient source of vitamins & minerals. Plus, we use whole food protein & never rely on whey or soy.
- THE INSIDE MATTERS: Featuring clean ingredients, whole food nutrition & a low glycemic index, these high-fiber gluten-free snack bars help keep you fuller, longer. Organic, non-GMO & kosher.
- ENJOY ON THE GO: Perfect Bar is kept refrigerated for optimal texture & tastiness, but stays good for one week out of the fridge. This snack is a great way to increase your protein intake on the go.
- PERFECT SNACKS: Our nutritious bars are great for an active lifestyle. Enjoy the full line of Perfect Snacks including Perfect Bar, Perfect Peanut Butter Cups, Perfect Bites & Perfect Kids.
These are another bar that are available at stores like Target and Sam’s Club. It is a refrigerated bar and boasts of having lots of super foods in them.
- 14 grams of whole food protein
- Really great ingredient – you’ll find items like celery, kelp, whole egg powder, alfalfa, and other super foods on the label. I don’t see anything artificial!
- Higher calories – each bar is around 300 calories or more
- Snack Size Available
- Lots of flavors, and they seem to release lots of seasonal ones
- Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough with Sea Salt
- Dark Chocolate Chip Peanut Butter
- Peanut Butter
- Coconut Peanut Butter
- Pumpkin Pie (limited time)
- Salted Caramel
- Almond Butter
- Dark Chocolate Almond
- Chocolate MInt
- Chocolate Hazelnut Crisp
- Very good reviews across the board
These are plant-based protein bars. The protein amount is a little lower than some, but they are organic and seem to have good reviews.
- Contain 10 grams protein
- Variety of flavors
- Peanut Butter
- Coconut Vanilla
- Salted Chocolate
- Chocolate Cherry
- Ingredients are very simple and real food – protein sources are dates, sunflower seed powder, sunflower seeds and poppy seeds.
- Good reviews – some people say they are a bit dense
- SOMETHING FOR EVERYONE: Our 12-bar value pack comes with a variety of flavors. Each CLIF Nut Butter Bar is made from USDA organic ingredients, with 5–7g of plant protein (8–10% DV).
- CLIF NUT BUTTER BARS: Looking for a quick, easy snack that satisfies your hunger, and your cravings? CLIF Nut Butter Bars have 5–7g of protein (8–10% DV) to help you power through your busy day.
- DELICIOUS FLAVORS: Organic snack bars with wholesome oats and fillings made with real peanut butter or almond butter. Available in craveable flavors like Chocolate & Peanut Butter, Chocolate & Hazelnut Butter, and Peanut Butter.
- QUALITY INGREDIENTS: Our bars are non-GMO with no high-fructose corn syrup or artificial flavors. We also use organic ingredients and plant protein as part of our commitment to sustaining the planet.
- PERFECT ANYTIME SNACK: A balanced mix of plant-based ingredients and key nutrients, like 5–7g of protein (8–10% DV), for a satisfying snack that’s perfectly portioned to help cure your hunger, and your cravings.
I think these are pretty tasty. Obviously, they have nuts in them, so they aren’t an option for anyone with nut allergies. However, they are delicious and aren’t as “protein-y” as some bars might be.
- Lower protein – 5-7 grams per bar
- I have gotten these at Costco
- Variety of Flavors
- Chocolate & Peanut Butter
- Peanut Butter
- Chocolate & Hazelnut Butter
- Plant Based
- Not the best ingredients but overall pretty good
How much protein do I need while breastfeeding?
The amount of protein you need while breastfeeding depends on many factors, including your weight, activity level, and the amount of breastmilk you produce. The American Dietetic Association (ADA) recommends that nursing mothers consume at least 68-120 grams of protein per day.
What are the benefits of protein bars while you’re breastfeeding?
Protein bars can help nursing mothers meet their increased protein needs. They are also a convenient and easy way to get the nutrients you need on the go. Protein bars can help you:
- Potentially Increase milk production
- Boost energy levels
- Promote muscle growth and repair
- Reduce hunger and cravings
- Support a healthy immune system
I like protein bars that have some carbs, because that helps you process much-needed carbs a little easier while keeping your full for longer (as opposed to just eating carbs on their own).
Do Protein Bars Increase Milk Supply?
I don’t think there are any studies showing that protein bars increase milk supply – it would definitely depend on the ingredients. However, if you aren’t eating enough and protein bars give you energy to remember to nurse frequently and keep up your caloric intake, it could potentially help milk supply.
Protein bars are a convenient and easy way to get the nutrients you need while breastfeeding. They can help you meet your increased protein needs and boost energy levels. Choose a protein bar that is high in quality and nutritious, and be sure to check with your healthcare provider before making any dietary changes.
Are protein bars safe while breastfeeding?
Protein bars are generally safe for nursing mothers to consume. However, it’s important to choose a high-quality protein bar that is nutritious and free of artificial sweeteners, flavors, and colors. You should also check with your healthcare provider before making any dietary changes while breastfeeding.
Why does breastfeeding make you so hungry?
Breastfeeding can make you feel hungrier than usual because it requires extra energy to produce milk. Nursing mothers need to consume more calories than they did before pregnancy in order to meet their increased energy needs. Protein bars are a great way to get the nutrients and energy you need while breastfeeding.
Will my appetite decrease when I stop breastfeeding?
It’s normal for your appetite to decrease when you stop breastfeeding. This is because you no longer need the extra calories that are required to produce milk.
However, it’s important to continue eating a balanced diet and including protein-rich foods in your meals and snacks. Protein bars can be a convenient and easy way to get the nutrients you need on the go.
If you are having trouble eating balanced meals, I highly recommend checking out our breastfeeding/postpartum meal plan. It has so many great meal ideas!
What happens if you don’t eat enough while breastfeeding?
If you don’t eat enough while breastfeeding, you may experience fatigue, low energy levels, and may even have difficulty producing milk. It’s important to consume a balanced diet that includes plenty of protein-rich foods in order to meet your increased nutrient needs. Protein bars can be a convenient and easy way to get the nutrients you need on the go.
Is a high protein diet bad for breastfeeding?
A high protein diet is not necessarily bad for breastfeeding. However, it’s important to choose a variety of healthy protein sources, such as lean meats, seafood, beans, tofu, nuts, and seeds.
You should also include a variety of other nutritious foods in your diet, such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and healthy fats.
Other Ways to Get Protein While Breastfeeding
- Natural Yogurt and Granola
- Cheese with Whole Grain Crackers
- Peanut Butter and Bananas
- Hardboiled Eggs and Fresh Fruit
- Dried Fruit and Nuts
- Smoothie with Protein Powder (check out our favorite breastfeeding friendly protein powders)
- Chicken Salad Wrap
- Tuna Salad Sandwich
- Bean Soup with a Side of Bread
- Lentil Stew with Rice Salmon with Quinoa and Broccoli
Homemade Protein Bar Recipes
Here is a great recipe for no bake protein bars!
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 1/2 cup honey
- 1/4 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup ground flaxseed meal
- 1/2 cup protein powder
- 1/4 cup chocolate chips
1. Line an 8×8 inch baking dish with parchment paper.
2. In a large bowl, mix together peanut butter, honey, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract until smooth.
3. Stir in oats, flaxseed meal, protein powder, and chocolate chips until well combined.
4. Press the mixture evenly into the prepared baking dish.
5. Refrigerate for at least 1 hour, or until firm.
6. Cut into bars and enjoy!
What are good snacks for breastfeeding moms?
There are many nutritious and convenient snacks that are perfect for breastfeeding moms. Protein bars are a great way to get the nutrients and energy you need on the go. Other good snack options for nursing mothers include:
Yogurt, cheese, peanut butter, bananas, hardboiled eggs, and fresh fruit.
Do KIND bars help with lactation?
There is no scientific evidence to suggest that KIND bars help with lactation. However, they are a nutritious and convenient snack option for breastfeeding mothers. KIND bars are high in protein and fiber, which can help nursing mothers meet their increased nutrient needs.
What protein is good for breastfeeding?
There are many healthy protein sources that are perfect for breastfeeding mothers. Good protein options for nursing mothers include lean meats, seafood, beans, tofu, nuts, and seeds. You should also include a variety of other nutritious foods in your diet, such as fruits, vegetables, whole grains, and healthy fats.
If you are a breastfeeding mother, it is important to consume plenty of protein. Protein bars can be a convenient and easy way to get the nutrients you need on the go. I hope that this article has been helpful for helping you choose a protein bar!
More Articles You may Enjoy:
- Is Pre Workout Safe While Breastfeeding + 10 Kinds to Try
- The BEST Lactation Cookie Recipe (Protein-Packed!)
- How to Increase Breast Milk Supply Fast: 11 Expert Tips
Katie Clark is a Certified Lactation Educator, Certified Breastfeeding Specialist, and IBCLC student. She has helped thousands of mothers and families around the globe navigate breastfeeding challenges and questions since 2015. She has a passion for creating research-based, helpful breastfeeding education and helping parents find a way to make breastfeeding work for them. Katie is a mom of three little boys and lives in the great state of Colorado. She also has a degree in Communications with an emphasis in print journalism.