Breast Pumps sure have a come long way over the years and the Willow Breast Pump is no exception. This pump is innovative, modern and has all the bells and whistles you could ask for. Be sure to read our entire review of this hands-free breast pump to make sure this is the breast pump for you!
The Willow Breast Pump is a hands-free, base free, cord-free breast pump that fits in your bra and goes where you go. Sounds pretty amazing, right?
Before we get into our review we want to make sure you are aware of The Breastfeeding Mama’s Online Breastfeeding courses. Read on to learn more!
The Breastfeeding Mama’s Online Breastfeeding Course
Whether you are a seasoned breast feeding mama or a first time mom- be sure to register for our Complete Breastfeeding Course and learn the secrets to successful breastfeeding
We also offer mini courses:
If you are on this page, chances are, you are going to be pumping. I HIGHLY recommend at least taking our Milk Supply and Pumping – it’s just $19.!
Table of contents
First things first. How much does it cost? And is it worth it?
At this time the Willow Wearable Breast Pump Generation 3 will cost you around $499. They occasionally offer a promotion to make it less expensive – if there is one going on, you’ll see an image below with the current offer!
The main draw for this pump is how incredibly portable it is. The Willow is advertised as the only in-bra pump that gives you the flexibility to pump directly into spill-proof storage bags.
That means- you can take this pump anywhere and everywhere and you can pump without having to slow down and stop what you are doing and you can pump in any position that is comfortable for YOU.
The Willow was designed for the ultimate comfort- while setting you up for pumping success.
Some key features include:
- Smart features for more comfort and output. The Smart Technology responds to your body and maintains suction enabling mobility without spilling.
- Milk is pumped into the spill-proof disposable collection and storage bag reusable container inside of the pump
- Have we mentioned it is spill-proof?
- No loud sucking sounds
- No external tubes, cords, or awkward bottles
- Track volume, view history, and receive personalized tips with the Willow App
- Produces 20% more milk than average breast pumps
- Willow offers Flanges and Milk Container accessories in size 21mm, 24mm & 27mm
Generation 3 Willow Pumps come with a redesigned app & setup experience, and even personalized tips for use making it the most reliable version of the product to date.
Most women find it to be pretty effective and reliable for day to day use.
Who is this pump ideal for?
This pump would be perfect for anyone who doesn’t want to be held back by pumping or who would simply enjoy an easier, no hassle experience. I really can’t think of anyone who wouldn’t want a hands-free, cord- free pump. It will take some time to get used to- placing a pump in your bra might sound a little strange at first- but once you get the hang of it it will be life changing.
What is included?
The Willow includes the following:
- 2 Willow Pumps
- 2 Flanges
- 2 ‘Flextubes’
- 1 Charger
- 1 Pack of 24 4 oz Milk Bags
- 2 Cleaning Brushes
What we like
- It’s quiet
- It’s easy to clean
- You can take it anywhere and pump anywhere
- It’s discreet- you can be pumping and no one will even know
- Parts are dishwasher safe
- There are seven levels of suction with two new lower level settings as well as a new sensitivity setting.
- BPA Free
- It holds just over four ounces of milk and you can put them straight into the fridge or freezer- without spilling!
- Bags fit nicely into the fridge and freezer- much better than bulky bottles
- Made for all breast sizes including G and H bra cups
- No special bra needed- but is is recommended to wear a full-coverage nursing bra that’s stretchy and has a flap- avoid underwire and padded bras
What we don’t like
- It’s expensive and generally not covered by insurance
- The rechargeable battery lasts for five pumping sessions so you may need to charge regularly
- Bags cannot be reused- Once you’re ready to use the milk, you must cut the top of the bag. However, you can purchase reusable containers, which were a major improvement.
- It can take a few sessions to get used to
- Some women feel like it’s a bit bulky and makes them look bustier than they actually are
- The Willow App is not always reliable
- Additional supplies will need to be purchased. This may include:
- 2-pack of reusable containers $49.99 (replace every 3 months)
- 48 Milk Bags $23.99
- 2-pack of Milk Container Inserts $19.99 (replace every 3 months)
- 2-pack of Flanges $29.99 (replace every 3 months)
- 2-pack Flextubes $29.99 (replace every 3 months)
- Charger $29.99
Is it covered by insurance?
The Willow Pump is not typically covered by insurance. Some moms have had success getting a portion of it covered, though.
However, it is HSA/FSA eligible. This means you can purchase the Willow Breast Pump with one of those accounts- which is better than nothing in some cases.
Willow Pump provides some helpful info on HSA & insurance eligibility and how-to here.
Willow Breast Pump Reviews
“Amazing for those with busy schedules. I’m a d cup and it does look a bit odd but i would rather have that then have my sessions interrupted by my busy life with 4 kids and work.”
“First time pumper here! Ordered this product as it was recommended by a fellow pumping mom and my lactation consultant. I will say.. *EXPECT A LEARNING CURVE* the flip to finish gets me sometimes, and getting it positioned appropriately to get the most volume and most comfortable session takes practice. Proper flange size and a very good bra are a must. But once you get everything sorted it is an amazing convenience! I’m a just enough and this seems to work well enough. I do have a hospital grade pump at home I still use from time to time just to make sure I’m really empty but overall I have had great success.”
“I absolutely love this pump. Best one in the market!
Easy to clean, easy to assemble and complete freedom to multitask while pumping.
I have not faced any problems to get my bottles filled. It just normally takes 20-25 min. ( I must say I have good supply of milk.)”
“I love this pump. I have 3 kids. I needed portability. I needed to be able to hold my baby and bottle feed him while I pumped. I am an exclusive pumper. I also work part time, on-call. So set schedule does not happen in my household. This pump allows me to keep to my pumping schedule no matter what. This pump has allowed me to maintain and increase my supply. The comfort level is decent you need to make sure your flange is the correct size.”
“The Willow has the potential to be awesome, but it definitely falls short. I love that I can stick it in my bra and keep doing things – cook, feed the baby, fold laundry, work, etc. BUT the suction hurts more than a normal pump, the flange sizes are limited, and the bags are expensive.”
Read more testimonials on the Willow homepage here
Other Hands Free Breast Pumps to Consider
The Willow Breast Pump is not the only hands free breast pump out there. If you are shopping around, Elvie offers a very similar pump, and Freemie offers a few different hands free pumps you can consider. Freemie is much more likely to be covered by insurance.
What are your thoughts on the Willow Breast Pump? Comment below, and click here if you are looking for more breast pump reviews.