Breastfeeding has many side effects. You might find yourself feeling extra sleepy while you breastfeed. Is it connected to breastfeeding though? Or are you just a new mom who is a bit sleep deprived? Let’s find out.
Can breastfeeding make me tired?
First of all it is completely normal to feel tired as a post-partum mama. Healing physically and emotionally is a lot of work. So you will most likely feel bouts of tiredness from that- on top of caring for a newborn.
Breastfeeding releases Oxytocin in your brain. The release of oxytocin can cause a relaxed and sleepy feeling- which can cause you to feel more sleepy. It is also common to get that “sleepy” feeling while breastfeeding because of the close nature you are experiencing while caring for and nurturing your baby.
If you find yourself getting sleepy consider doing something to keep you awake. Some women keep water by their side to drink to stay alert, or you could eat a snack, scroll on your phone, play a game, or watch tv.
New to breastfeeding? Need a refresher for a second baby? Make sure you signup for “The Complete Online Breastfeeding Class“. This on demand class is designed to help you meet your breastfeeding goals.
Other articles you may enjoy:
- Top Signs of Low Milk Supply To Worry About
- 22 Low Milk Supply Causes You May Not Know About
- Can Breastfeeding Cause Depression?
- Why Is Breastfeeding Painful?
- 8 Breastfeeding Problems After A C-Section
- Can Breastfeeding Cause Breast Cancer?
- The Ultimate Guide To Dairy Free Breastfeeding
- 5 Soothing Solutions for Dry and Cracked Nipples From Breastfeeding
- How Often Should A 6 Month Old Breastfeed?
- Why is Breastfeeding Important?
- Can Breastfeeding Moms Drink Coffee?
- Can Breastfeeding Cause A Fever?
Leave a Reply