If you are a breastfeeding mom then you are going to want to find a way to store breast milk so it doesn’t go to waste. That liquid gold is important and we have rounded up the best breastmilk storage bags to help you decide which one is the best option for you!
If you breastfeed and are also a pumping mom you may need to take a few extra steps to make sure your precious breast milk is saved for later use. Many moms exclusively breastfeed while others like to store extra milk for a rainy day or to have it on hand when they aren’t near their baby during feeding time.
No matter how often you pump or what kind of milk stash you want to accumulate there is one thing you are going to need- breast milk bags.
Milk bags are a great option and an easy way to protect your precious breastmilk to save it for your baby to eat at a later time.
We’ve rounded up the best milk storage bags out there to help you decide which brand is the right breast milk storage bags for you.
Be sure to signup for our online Breast milk and Pumping Class!
The Best Breast Milk Storage Bags
Here are the best breast milk storage bags, based on our experience as well as on the results of a poll we did on Instagram!
Medela Breast Milk Storage Bags – Overall Mom Favorite
- Flow control valve allows baby to control milk flow
- Milk only flows when baby creates a vacuum
- Mimics natural feeding behavior: baby can feed, pause and breathe, similar to breastfeeding
In the poll that we did, these, by far, were the most popular brand mentioned. Several moms were very emphatic about it! Some moms felt they had a bit of a learning curve but overall were very happy with them. The most cited favorite about these was how durable they were!
Medela bags are made of heavy-duty, double-layer material with a double zipper seal that offers leak-proof protection while transporting. They stand up on their own and lay flat. They also come with an adapter that makes it so you can pump directly into the bag- no extra bottles needed which is a huge time saver for busy moms.
Each bag holds up to six ounces and is BPA-Free.
You can buy a box of 20 bags for around $9 or a 100 count for $15 on Amazon
Kiinde Twist Pouches – Best Pump Direct Bags
- DIRECT-PUMP, FREEZE, HEAT AND FEED: Our breastmilk storage bags pump, store, and feed using the same pouch with our locking adapters, Kozii Pro bottle warmer, Kiinde Natural Feeding Bottle and nipples
- THREADED CAPS ELIMINATE LEAKS: Kiinde Pouches feature threaded caps to keep your milk safe. Bring your milk to and from work and home in our cooler without worrying about leaking breastmilk bags
- RECYCLABLE MATERIALS: The Kiinde breast milk storage system allows you to pump, store, and feed all from the same milk storage bag. Breastmilk storage bag is completely recyclable.
- MEASUREMENTS ON THE POUCH: Pouches with markings so you can accurately monitor your child’s intake are breastfeeding essentials; Breastmilk storage bags are available in 6 oz and 8 oz sizes.
- GREAT BABY SHOWER OR NEW BABY GIFT: New parents are always looking for easy-to-use and effective products to use from infant to toddler, making Kiinde systems the perfect breastmilk storage container
Kiinde is a pumping and feeding system where you pump directly into their bag that you can also freeze or store in the fridge. When it is time to use the milk you can feed your baby directly from it using a bottle that screws directly onto it.
A lot of moms in our polls said they love this one. One mom said she really likes the idea of them, but the price makes it so she doesn’t want to try them.
It is easy to use. Simply attach your pump parts to the Kiinde bags using an adapter (the adapter fits most breast pumps). You then pump as usual into the bags. When they are filled, let out the excess air from the top of the bag and screw the top onto the bag, and store them in your fridge or freezer. When you are ready to use you simply thaw or warm the milk in the same bag and feed your baby from it.
The best deal is to buy the complete system. You can find it on Amazon for about $65. However, I personally recommend buying them directly from the Kiinde website!
You can try Kiinde out by grabbing a free starter kit here! It includes:
1 – Twist Pouch, a direct-pump, recyclable breastmilk storage bag
2 – Standard Direct-Pump™ Adapters (adapter is compatible with pumps from Medela®, Hygeia®, Ameda®, ARDO®, Spectra®, Avent® and Evenflow® and other pumps with a standard thread)
2 – Spectra/Avent Direct-Pump™ Adapters
1 – Twist Squeeze Natural Feeding Bottle
1 – Twist Active Latch Slow-Flow Nipple with Case
1 – Coupon valid for a Free 40 count pack of Twist Pouches at www.Kiinde.com
1 – Coupon valid for 50% off the Kiinde Twist Breastfeeding Gift Set ($99.99 MSRP, a $50 value) at www.Kiinde.com
ZipTop Milk Bags – Best Reusable Bags
- Better for your baby: 100% pure non-toxic platinum silicone is completely free of BPA, lead, PVC, latex and phthalates. They won’t leach harmful chemicals into your milk like plastics can. Made in the USA!
- Versatile: Zip Top milk bags are safe for use in the dishwasher (bottom rack too), freezer and bottle warmers. Pour corners to avoid spills and you can write on them! Easily organize by date in the freezer tray.
- Designed for easy use and cleaning: Plastic-Free, single-piece construction that stands up! The tops stay open and zippers do not overlap in the corners like normal zippers making it super easy to clean. Thick strong silicone will not tear or break.
- Better for the Planet: Endlessly reusable, Zip Top was designed with the environment in mind. After you are done nursing, these are great for toddler snacks or frozen treats!
- Milk Bag Set of 6 + Freezer Tray Includes: Six Milk Bags 2” x 3.9” x 5.9” (6 oz) + Freezer Tray. Easily store and organize breast milk by date in the refrigerator or freezer.
If you are looking for an eco-friendly, durable and reusable option, we have a great company for you. The ZipTop Milk Bags are a fantastic reusable breast milk bag. They stand up straight, are super easy to close and open, and you definitely don’t have to worry about leaks.
These do cost more money,– especially if you use a lot of milk storage bags. However, if the features they have are important to you, they are well worth the money. They are made from premium silicone, no BPA, lead, PVC, and phthalate. They are single-piece construction, which means there are no by-products, like glue, holding them together.
ZipTop also has a great storage tray designed specifically for the trays. You can get these (and anything else on the ZipTop website) for 15% off with the code CLARKSCONDENSED15.
You can buy a 2-pack for $15.99 or a six-pack plus freezer tray for $49.99. Don’t forget to use the code CLARKSCONDENSED15.
Lansinoh Breast Milk Storage Bags – Most Time Tested
- SUPER STRONG- Designed with double sealed side seams and a double zipper to protect and freeze breastmilk
- SAFE BREASTMILK STORAGE- Our storage bags are presterilized and BPA/BPS free with a tamper-evident, fully sealed tear-away top for safety
- SAVE TIME- Pump directly into the bags using your Lansinoh pump or most major pump brands using our Lansinoh pump-into-bag adapter (sold separately)
- EASY TO USE- Each bag has a large write-on label at the top plus a convenient pour spout
- COMPACT STORAGE- Lay flat to safely freeze; Stand in the fridge for compact, easy storage
Lansinoh is a well-known and trusted brand that parents have been using for years. Their bags are often favorite among moms. The bags are widely available and you can buy their bags at any grocery store or retailer
We love Lansinoh bags because they are made from thick, BPA- and BPS-free plastics. With some Lansinoh Pumps, you can pump directly into them. Plus moms report that the Lansinoh milk bag will fit around other types of breast pumps, too- so these bags would fit the bill for many.
You can buy a 50 pack for around $8 on Amazon
Dr. Brown’s Milk Storage Bags – Most Durable Bags
- Extra durable design features exterior trim that cushions when dropped while the double zip seals keep air out and super-thick material keeps breast milk fresh.
- Gusseted bottom holds bag upright while perforated top makes for easy-open
- Pre-sterilized for immediate use. Area on bag for freshness label and baby’s name.
- Includes 100 individual 6 oz/180 ml bags. BPA free.
We love Dr. Brown bags because they are thick and durable, large enough to write your baby’s name on them, and come with an exterior trim for extra cushioning.
You can buy a 50 count for around $9 or a 100 count for $13 on Amazon.
Philips Avent Breast Storage Bags – Best Affordable Option
- BPA Free
- Leak proof: Secure double zipper
- Completely Hygenic: Pre sterilized. Tamper evident seal
- Strong and Durable: Reinforced seams and dual layer bag
- Easy to use: Self standing bag, wide opening for easy filling and pouring
Avent Breast Milk bags are an even more affordable option that you can trust. They come with a double zipper lock, they are BPA-free and have a tamper-evident seal and dual layers for added thickness. They can also stand up easily and come with a wide opening to make it easy to pour milk in and out of.
You can buy a 50 pack for around $7 on Amazon.
Runner up for the most affordable option is Up and Up bags. They are a little less expensive but the reviews are not as good as Avent.
Nano Bebe Milk Storage Bags – Best Freezer Space Option
- NO-MESS MILK STORAGE – Fit the whole family’s food in the freezer again! Declutter with your 10-count refill of stackable breast milk savers, specially designed to stack evenly inside nanobébé’s “first in, first out” vertical breastmilk storage container or for use on their own.
- BULK BREASTMILK BAGS – Rather than stress about running out of breast pump bags, plan ahead and cherish more bonding moments during infant feeding. Stocking up on breastfeeding storage bags saves you much-needed mommy time and creates future peace of mind!
- PROTECTS MILK NUTRITION – Count on nanobébé when mealtime arrives. Our breast milk storage bags defrost and warm 2 times faster than standard freezer bags to preserve the powerful, unique-to-you nutrients within your breastmilk!
- TRUSTED, TEARPROOF BREASTFEEDING BAGS – From bottles to breast milk bags, Rely on us for leak-free infant feeding. Your nursing bags’ extra thick, double zipper, BPA-free material won’t puncture or tear
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED – All of our innovative nursing supplies and breastfeeding accessories are promised to perform, Love them, or we’ll work to make it right. It’s nanobébé’s promise.
Nano Bebe is more expensive however they are made especially to take up less space in your freezer. They have a stackable design and if you purchase their vertical storage bin you can easily have 50 bags in it. They also defrost up to two times faster than most other bags or bottles.
You can buy a 50 count for around $10 or a 100 pack for $18 on Amazon
Tommee Tippee – Most Innovative Design
- Pre-sterilized milk pouches: Each BPA-free breast milk pouch holds up to 6 fl. oz of breast milk. Complete with leak-proof caps and suitable for storage in the fridge or freezer
- Universal: These pouches simply click into your Tommee Tippee breast pump, or other pump of your choice using an adaptor (sold separately) so you can express without losing a single drop
- Feed directly from the pouch: When feeding time comes around, simply pop your pouch with your warmed milk into the pouch holder (sold separately) and attach a nipple of your choice
- Name, date & volume panel for easy labelling: You can write directly onto each bag your name, date and volume, which in those early days of breastfeeding means one less thing to remember
- Baby-safe: The Tommee Tippee breast milk storage bags are BPA-free for total reassurance
With these high-quality Tommee Tippee Pump and Go Breastmilk Bags you can pump directly into them using any pump you’d like when used with using their Pump and Go Breast Pump Adapter Set. They are BPA-Free and can easily stand up or lay flat.
Their pouches are single-use and sterilized for safety with a screw-top lid for security.
You can buy these bags with your FSA\HSA card, too!
You can get a 70 count box for around $24 on Amazon.
Nuk Seal ‘N Go Breastmilk Bags – Simplest Design
- 100% Leak-Proof Guaranteed!
- Double zipper seal for extra security
- Gravity-fed pour spout helps prevents spills during transfer
- Unique gusset-free bottom prevents leaks from corners of bag
Nuk Seal ‘n Go Breastmilk bags come with a 100% leak-proof guarantee! They are freezer safe, pre-sterilized, and easy to store with their self-standing bag.
Their double zipper seals allow for extra security and they have a unique gusset-free bottom that prevents leaks from the corners of the bag. The gravity-fed pour spout helps prevent spills during transfer, too!
You can get a 100 count for $12 on Amazon.
Mommy’s Precious Milk Bags – Most Accurate Measurements
LEAK PROOF AND SELF STANDING – We strive to ensure that your bags won’t leak and waste away those precious liquid gold. We know how hard it is to lose those precious breast milk. We also have gusseted bottom making one handed operations a breeze.
SAFETY GUARANTEED BPA BPS FREE PHTHALATE FREE LATEX FREE PRE STERILIZED – We ensure that safety for your baby is at our upmost concern when designing these breast milk storage bags.
ACCURATE MEASUREMENT LINES & FRONT FACING WRITEABLE TABS – We made sure to measure the weight of milk when we designed these bags to ensure the measuring lines are accurate. Our lines are 95% accurate. Our tabs also face you so that you can write the details on easily.
PERFORATED LINE FOR EASY STRAIGHT LINE TEAR – We designed the tear area to have a perforated line making it easier to tear open and it always tears in a straight line every time.
DESIGNED BY PARENTS FOR PARENTS – At Mommy’s Precious we are parents too. We love our babies and know just how much it means to give your child the best love and care they deserve. That’s why we designed this breast milk storage container bags for you with the best thoughts in mind.
These milk bags are leakproof and self-standing and because of their gusseted bottom design, so won’t have a struggle filling them up. They are BPA-free and latex and phthalate-free.
They have a double zipper lock and they are large enough to hold up to 8 ounces of milk. Once frozen they lay flat to store which will help with freezer space. Their measurements are 95% accurate which is helpful when tracking exactly how much you are pumping and how much your baby is eating. They have perforated lines that make for a straight line tear which could be tricky at times to open but overall these bags have everything you could want.
You can get a box of 110 bags for $20 on Amazon.
What are breast milk bags?
Breast milk bags help free up space in your bottles and allow you to save milk for later use. They are single-use disposable bags made specifically for collecting extra ounces of breast milk.
When it comes to storing your breastmilk, there are several options you can consider – there are TONS of different types of bags available.
It’s important to understand that a breast milk storage bag is different plastic bags, freezer storage bags, and sandwich bags that you may store other food in. Breast milk bags are designed specifically for human milk – made from thick material, BPA-free plastic. This is FDA-Approved for the storing and protection of breast milk.
Another difference is that these special bags designed for breast milk also have an ounce or milliliter markers that show the different ounces on the side. This is to help you more easily track how much milk is being stored (though be aware, these aren’t always 100% accurate!)
While it’s not always possible, it can be convenient to buy storage bags that you can directly pump into the bag. This can save you time as you don’t have to transfer the milk and you may lose less milk since there’s always some that will be left behind in a bottle.
A good breast milk bag freezes flat and takes up less freezer space to help with easy storage.
How to choose good milk storage bags
There are so many good options when it comes to bags for storing those extra ounces of milk. It might be a good idea to take into consideration a few things before deciding which bags you want to use for your expressed milk.
The size, durability, material, adapters, and ease of use are all different options you may want to think about.
Most breastmilk storage bags come in different sizes that hold anywhere from four to eight ounces. You can usually get away with starting with four-ounce bags when your baby is a newborn. The more your baby eats and the more you pump the bigger bag you are going to want to use.
Durability and Material
You will want a bag made of thick plastic that is FDA approved and BPA- free.
Major breast pump brands often have a feature where you can pump directly into their bags. But it usually only works when you use their brand of storage bags. You may want to check and see if your pump has its own adapter or you can find one on like the Spectra Universal Pump Adapter on Amazon.
Ease of Use
Pick a bag that is easy to use. Single pouch, sturdy bags with a secure seal that has a self-standing design will make your life so much easier. A high-quality bag might come with a convenient pour spout or a twist top making it easy to transfer your milk into a baby bottle
How much milk should go in each bag?
You can check with the bag you are using to determine the maximum amount recommended for a bag. Most companies don’t recommend more than 4-6 ounces of human milk.
We recommend storing in small amounts just so you don’t have waste. Once you figure out how much your baby usually takes in a bottle, you can freeze in those increments. As you get into a groove, you’ll figure out what works best for you.
Whatever you pump in one sitting can go into one bag or you can split it up into multiple containers if you need to. You can combine milk from different feedings – just make sure you’ve chilled them to the same temperature in the fridge.
How to warm breast milk
When it comes to feeding your baby, you will probably want to warm it up – not all babies require warmed milk. It just depends, though we don’t recommend feeding frozen milk.
There are three ways you can warm your baby’s bottle>
- Using a bottle warmer
- Place the milk in a cup of warm water (of course, the milk should be in a bottle or in the milk bag still)
- Running warm water over the milk bag or bottle
- Run the milk bag\bottle under warm water
If you know you will need to give a bottle and only have frozen milk, you should place the frozen milk in the fridge in a cool container of water. This can help it thaw more slowly. However, if you weren’t able to plan ahead, you can place it in a bowl of warm water to defrost and warm at the same time.
A bottle warmer can also be used, however, this usually takes 15-20 minutes.
Breast milk should never be put into the microwave. This kills the nutrients and creates hot spots, which can burn your baby.
Do not put breastmilk (or formula) in the microwave to warm This will kill nutrients and can create hot spots that can burn the baby’s mouth.
If you thaw milk and your baby doesn’t drink all of if you can give it to them later just be sure to use it again within 24 hours.
How to know which bag to use first
After you have filled your bag with milk, it is essential to write the date.
This will help you know when the milk was expressed so you can use the older bags of milk first.
If you are pumping milk to send to your child care provider, be sure to write your baby’s name on the bag while you are writing the date. You can also note how many ounces are in each bag.
Can I reuse breastmilk bags?
No, you do not reuse milk bags once they have been used.
You use them once and then toss them out. It might be tempting to wash them and use them again, but if you do that, they will no longer be sterile, and it isn’t worth it. Remember, this is one of those baby products that are worth the cost.
What are your favorite breast milk storage bags? Comment below and let us know!
Other Posts You May Enjoy:
- 7 Best Reusable Storage Containers for Breast milk
- 7 Tips for Healthy and Nutritious Breastfeeding
- Does Breastfeeding Help You Lose Weight?
- Top Signs of Low Milk Supply to Worry About
- Blue Gatorade for Increasing Milk Supply – Does it Help?
- Protein Powder While Breastfeeding: Everything You Need to Know
Leave a Reply